Monday, February 20, 2012

Half Broke Horses

I picked this up because I absolutely loved Jeanette Walls' The Glass Castle.  I love her easy but beautiful writing style and knew I would most likely love her newer book about her grandmother Lily Casey Smith. And I did - it was a joy to read and I fell in love with Lily and her remarkable life.  It was nothing short of amazing and I totally admired her tenacity and indomitable spirit in such trying times and in such desolate areas of the country.  I have to say it was a little heart-wrenching to read about Lily's daughter knowing how she would ultimately turn out (as the mother in The Glass Castle), but I also felt grateful to know a little more about her as well.  Lily's story was inspiring to me, and the book is a really, really great read.

No comments: