Thursday, March 22, 2012

The Bedwetter

Rating: 3 Stars

This book was selected in my book club, and I actually ended up listening to it, thinking I didn't really want to read it and that way I could fit it into my other activities (taking the place of my podcast proclivities for a time).  Well, it turns out I really did rather like it.  I think this was partly because I expected to NOT like it.  I have a hard time watching shows that make me cringe and Sarah Silverman's show is SO cringe worthy (she says the most awful things), I kind of put her in a box that was defined by her often distasteful humor (to me personally at any rate). But she surprised me.  Her story is actually interesting, thoughtful, often hilarious, and I found that I quite liked her as a person - outside of her humor.  So it was a enlightening lesson for me in that regard.  The book is still not for the faint of heart (and thus I cannot recommend it for everyone, certainly not my mother), but it made me laugh out loud a lot and have a new perspective, and I really appreciated all of that.  I also have to say that I think my ability to like this was enhanced by listening to the book, as it was narrated by her and her inflections were funny - I have a feeling I wouldn't have liked it quite the same if I had read it myself and inserted my own inflections and impressions.  Thanks for making me laugh Sarah Silverman!

No comments: