Monday, December 31, 2007

The Dark Tower I: The Gunslinger

This is Stephen King's attempt (and success) at fantasy. In his own beginning, he mentions that he did not want to create a typical fantasy with elves, dwarves, and forest creatures. So he created one based on the West - in a post-apocalyptic setting. I didn't know if I would love it, and for the first several chapters was rather dubious. But I did end up enjoying it - it is different, darker, and relatively intense. I really quite like the gunslinger character. I am starting on the second one now. I'm not sure if I will take the time to read all 7 right now, since I have many books on my list, but I think I will eventually. Thanks to my friend Mandra for recommending it!

1 comment:

Wenona said...

I've always enjoyed Stephen King although I haven't read him in quite some time. So many books....so little time. Thanks for recommending this one. I'll pick it up next time I'm out.