I was really glad that I read this so close to The Catcher In The Rye. Their stories are similar, only this is a female version of the confessional type story. Only in m opinion this one is a little bit more tragic as it follows the main character's mental break with reality. Even more sad that it is semi-autobiographical and Ms. Plath ended up taking her own life. But I found her journey still compelling - a young woman, achingly trying to figure things out in that society and for herself, another example of just how hard that can be. It was also pretty interesting to read of the practice of psychiatry at the time. Once she got around to describing what the title meant in relation to the story, the bell jar became one of my favorite literary images. I won't spoil it, but do think it could apply to everyone in one way or another, not just those with mental illness. All in all, a very worthwhile read.
Saturday, February 5, 2011
The Bell Jar
I was really glad that I read this so close to The Catcher In The Rye. Their stories are similar, only this is a female version of the confessional type story. Only in m opinion this one is a little bit more tragic as it follows the main character's mental break with reality. Even more sad that it is semi-autobiographical and Ms. Plath ended up taking her own life. But I found her journey still compelling - a young woman, achingly trying to figure things out in that society and for herself, another example of just how hard that can be. It was also pretty interesting to read of the practice of psychiatry at the time. Once she got around to describing what the title meant in relation to the story, the bell jar became one of my favorite literary images. I won't spoil it, but do think it could apply to everyone in one way or another, not just those with mental illness. All in all, a very worthwhile read.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment