Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Wicked

Loved it. This is the "life and times of the Wicked Witch of the West" - the classic evil witch from Oz. This book turned Oz into a completely different world, and added great depth to all the predictable, flat characters of the film. I loved it because it was a fun, entertaining read, but also touched on a lot of themes that interest me. Such as the definition of evil, differing religious perspectives, political viewpoints, and inspections into all sides of a soul's behavior and emotions. Granted, the author may be using talking Animals, and Munchkins, and Wizards to make a point or raise a question, but they are well said nonetheless (and more entertaining in my opinion). Most of all, I came to appreciate the little green Witch for being just like the rest of us - vulnerable, smart, compassionate, cruel, and loving. Dare I say, human.

No comments: