I really wanted to like this book. I like the idea of it being set in Savannah, I vaguely remember seeing the movie with Kevin Spacey in it, and...it fell short for me. Of course it might have helped if I'd known that it was a non-fiction novel the whole time I was reading it...but somehow I missed that bit of info until the very end when the author's note mentioned that every character was a real person. There were a few really interesting, eccentric characters, including the city of Savannah itself - also unique and eccentric (and I admit I'd like to see it). But I often felt bored, like I was just constantly waiting for something to happen - it was more like a day-in-the-life type story. When something did finally happen, it still seemed lacking somehow. But again, that might have been because I was coming to it from the wrong perspective...though now it's too late and I'll never know. Though I have to say...the voodoo bits were really fun and fascinating. And there were definitely other good parts, but all in all I'm kind of glad I'm finished.
Saturday, October 9, 2010
Midnight In The Garden Of Good And Evil
I really wanted to like this book. I like the idea of it being set in Savannah, I vaguely remember seeing the movie with Kevin Spacey in it, and...it fell short for me. Of course it might have helped if I'd known that it was a non-fiction novel the whole time I was reading it...but somehow I missed that bit of info until the very end when the author's note mentioned that every character was a real person. There were a few really interesting, eccentric characters, including the city of Savannah itself - also unique and eccentric (and I admit I'd like to see it). But I often felt bored, like I was just constantly waiting for something to happen - it was more like a day-in-the-life type story. When something did finally happen, it still seemed lacking somehow. But again, that might have been because I was coming to it from the wrong perspective...though now it's too late and I'll never know. Though I have to say...the voodoo bits were really fun and fascinating. And there were definitely other good parts, but all in all I'm kind of glad I'm finished.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment